Legal Immigration for Your Family

USCIS serves families with a wide range of immigration-related interests. This section of the website will explain how you may petition for relatives to immigrate to (permanently live in) the United States. If you are interested in other aspects of immigration, such as visitor visas or citizenship, contact our office

How Can I Help My Family Member Immigrate?

Your status determines which relatives (or future relatives such as a fiancé(e) or prospective adopted child) may be eligible to receive immigration benefits. In order to help a family member immigrate to the United States, you must be a:

  • U.S. citizen
  • Permanent resident (green card holder)
  • Refugee admitted as a refugee within the past 2 years or asylee granted asylum within the past 2 years

To find out whether your family members are eligible to immigrate and the steps you can take to help them, contact our office.

If you or a member of your family is in the U.S. military, see the “Information for Members of the Military and Their Families” link to the right. Information on other family-related subjects such as adoption and genealogy can also be found in the links to the right.

If you are a Citizen you can File for:

A. Husband or wife
B. Unmarried child under age 21
C. Unmarried son or daughter age 21 or older
D. Married son or daughter of any age
E. Brother(s) or sister(s) (you must be age 21 or older to file a petition
F. Mother or father (you must be age 21 or older).

If you are a lawful permanent resident of United States, you may file this form for:

A. Husband or wife
B. Your unmarried child under age 21
C. Your unmarried son or daughter age 21 or older.

  • There is no visa category for married children of permanent residents.
  • If an unmarried son or daughter of a permanent resident marries before the permanent resident becomes a U.S. citizen, any petition filed for that son or daughter will be automatically revoked.